Candlelight Vigils to Protect the Constitution's Promise of Equality for All
On the evening before the California Supreme Court holds oral argument on the validity of Proposition 8 and whether the initiative process can be used to take away fundamental freedoms from minorities, join us for a candlelight vigil for justice and equality.
- Bakersfield - Gathering in two locations. In Delano, gather at the south end of Cecil Avenue Park on Cecil Avenue from 4 to 6 p.m. and in Kernville, gather at Circle Park at 5 p.m.
- Costa Mesa - Gather at the Fairview Community Church, 2525 Fairveiw Road from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Fort Bragg - Gather at Town Hall on Main Street and Laurel from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fresno - Gather outside the Fresno County Clerk's Office at 2221 Kern Street 6 p.m. for a vigil program, recommitment ceremony, speakers and moment of silence.
- Los Angeles - Gather at Olvera Street in Downtown from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. for vigil program, ending with a walk to CA Supreme Court (Ronald Reagan Building 300 South Spring Street) at 8:00 p.m. for moment of silence.
- Modesto - Gather at 1010 10th Street in downtown at 7 p.m. to walk to the Court House for a vigil program and moment of silence at 7:30 p.m.
- Napa - Gather at the United Methodist Church, 625 Randolph Street from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Palm Springs – Gather at Tahquitz Canyon Drive and El Cielo Road in front of the Riverside County Courthouse from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Riverside – Gather at City Hall at 7 p.m. Sponsored by Inland Empire Equality
- Roseville- Gather at the Roseville Galleria Mall, 1151 Galleria Blvd from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for a peaceful candlelight vigil. Meet outside the mall entrance between the Cheesecake Factory (next to the JC Penny) and the Nordstroms.
- Sacramento - Gather at the West Steps of the Capital from 5 to 6 p.m. for pre-march rally. Step off at 6pm. Arrive at California Supreme Court (914 Capital Mall) at 6:30 p.m.
- San Diego - San Diego will have a community rally with speakers and singing converging on the Hall of Justice at 330 W Broadway from 4 to 6 p.m. A candle light vigil will then line the streets of Downtown San Diego Starting at 6 p.m.
- San Francisco - Gather at Market and Castro from 5-6pm for pre-march rally, step off at 6pm, arrive at CA Supreme Court (Civic Center) at 6:30pm for vigil program, recommittment ceremony and moment of silence.
- San Jose - Gather at the intersection of Winchesterr Boulevard and Stevens Creek Boulevard, at Santanna Row and Valley Fair shopping centers from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. for a short progam.
- San Luis Obispo - Gather at the Downtown Center at 888 Marsh Street at 5:30 p.m. for a vigil program, recommitment ceremony, speakers and moment of silence.
- Stockton - Gather at the First Unitarian Church, 2737 Pacific Ave at 6 p.m. for a vigil program and moment of silence at 7:30 p.m.
- Visalia - Gather at 221 S Mooney Blvd (Courthouse lawn) from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. for a vigil program, recommitment ceremony, speakers and moment of silence.
Co-sponsored by Marriage Equality USA, Human Rights Campaign, Equality California, Join the Impact, GLAAD, PFLAG, COLAGE, Courage Campaign, California Faith for Equality, Progressive Jewish Alliance, Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry California, Amnesty International, GSA Network, Metropolitan Community Churches.